Glory in the cross

What does it mean to glory in the cross? The story of the disciples in the book of Acts of the Apostles helps throw light on what it means to glory in the cross.

But for the benefit of those who do not understand the symbol of the cross, I will tell you. It is a symbol of suffering, pain, and persecution. Jesus died on the cross, and that was the peak of suffering for the Christian. Hence Jesus would say, "take up your cross and follow me"

It was the believers' pride to suffer the suffering his or her master had had to suffer. Remember when the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to ask for a position of honour for his two sons (James and John), the question Jesus asked was if they can drink of the cup that he would drink from - meaning will they be willing to suffer as he would even unto death. (See Matthew:20:20-23)

"And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name." (Acts.5.41)

The disciples left the presence of the council rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for the name of Jesus Christ. It was and is an honour to suffer for or with Christ.

"But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world."(Gal.6.14)

Paul says the only glory he wants to know is to glory in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Why?

Phil.3.10  answers that for us - "That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;"

When I glory in the cross of the Lord Jesus Christ, I am conforming to his death. Our text tells that when I glory in the cross, that is when I suffer for Christ - I am being crucified unto the world and the world is being crucified unto me. When this happens, the more of Christ I will manifest. That is why we should glory only in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ

NB: Let me take this opportunity to wish you and your family a happy new year, as the next time you'll read a post from me will be In 2022. So, HAPPY AND A PROSPEROUS 2022. 


Good day,
And have a great day today,
EmmA (aka Mr. Lift)
@Liftemma

Comments

  1. May I always glory in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen. Thanks for sharing, Mr. Lift. Happy New year to you and your family too. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's in a name?

Jesus is the answer to the sin problem

Who makes me who I am