Remember my bond

The Apostle Paul in most of his epistles always tries to sign off using his own hands, making it a bit more personal. So he will specify: "The salutation of me Paul with mine own hand" (1Cor.16.21) But when he does the same in the book of Colossians, he reminded them of his bonds. 

"The salutation by the hand of me Paul. Remember my bonds. Grace be with you. Amen". (Col.4.18)

Yes, this is one of Paul's prison epistles, that is, a letter he wrote to the church from prison. But I find it strange that he closes the letter reminding them of his bonds. And then juxtaposes that with the grace of God. 

He appears to be very proud of this bond. It is a badge of honour of some sort. We know this because, in another place, he had told to glory in tribulation. 
"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience. " (Rom.5.3) 

"Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my glorying of you: I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation". (2Cor.7.4) 

In doing this, the Apostle Paul teaches plenty of lessons. Our attitude in trouble says a lot about our disposition and our expectations. He says remember my bond. Maybe, so they'll keep praying for him but truly I think he was telling them this to say, despite my bonds, the grace of God is sufficient.  Hence be reminded that it does not matter where you are emotionally or otherwise, God's grace can see you through. Suffering is God's workshop where He fashions patience and a great lot of other virtues. (see Rom: 5:3-5) Remember my bonds... 

Good day,
And have a great day today,
EmmA (aka Mr. Lift)
@Liftemma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in a name?

Jesus is the answer to the sin problem

Who makes me who I am