From abstract to concrete

From abstract to concrete

"If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" (1 John.4.20) 

Thomas wasn't altogether wrong when he said unless he saw and touched he wasn't going to believe, at least from the natural standpoint. In fact, we have a saying for it, seeing is believing. 

"The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe." (John.20.25) 

We associate sight and touch with natural things. The same principle of sight and touch was put to use here by John the Beloved when he said, how can one say one loves God Whom one cannot see but hates one's brother whom one can see? It sounds abstract to me. If I can relate with my brother that I can see and yet hate him, how can I prove that I love God that I cannot see? John calls such a one a liar, who says he loves God Whom he cannot see but hates his brother whom he can see. 

Our text seems to suggest that we move from the abstract to the concrete. To move from saying we love God Whom we cannot see to the concrete to loving our brother that we can see. The verse concludes with the question, "How does he love God whom he cannot see?" Loving God is loving your brother. If you do not love your brother you do not love God. Move from loving the abstract to loving the concrete. Starting loving your brother, only then can you truly say you love God 

Good day,
Have a great day today, 
Emmanuel Okoro 
(aka Mr. Lift)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in a name?

Jesus is the answer to the sin problem

Who makes me who I am