Deny Yourself
DENY YOURSELF
It is easy to demand justice when someone else is at fault. The real test comes when the same standard points back at us.
We often judge others by what they did, but judge ourselves by what we meant. We look at their actions and call them wrong; we look at our own actions and explain our intentions.
But Jesus calls us to something deeper: self-denial.
Scripture
“Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.” (Matthew 16:24 KJV)
Explanation
Jonathan had eaten some honey during the battle. The problem was that Saul had placed the entire army under an oath that no one should eat until the battle was over.
Jonathan had not heard the command. He was not present when Saul gave it. Yet when Saul discovered what had happened, he declared that Jonathan must die.
Saul said, “It’s out of my hands—I can’t go against God, can I?”
But there was something uncomfortable about Saul's position. Would he have been equally willing to apply that same standard to himself?
Jonathan had done something he did not know was forbidden, yet Saul was ready to condemn him. The people, however, intervened. They recognized that God had used Jonathan to bring Israel a great victory that day, and they refused to allow him to die.
There is a lesson here for all of us: self-denial means being willing to submit ourselves to the same standard we apply to others.
It is easy to say, “I choose myself.” But Jesus says, “Deny yourself.”
Self-denial is not self-hatred. It is choosing God's will over our own convenience, ego, desires, and justification.
Application
Before you condemn someone, ask yourself:
“Would I apply this same standard to myself?”
Before insisting on your rights, ask:
“What does God require of me?”
Before defending your actions by explaining your intentions, ask:
“Am I willing to acknowledge that I may still be wrong?”
Following Jesus will sometimes require us to surrender our pride, admit our mistakes, forgive when we feel justified, and put God's will above our personal preferences.
The cross is not about choosing yourself; it is about surrendering yourself to God.
Reflection
Where am I demanding from others what I am unwilling to demand from myself?
Prayer
Lord, help me to examine myself before judging others. Give me the grace to deny myself, surrender my pride, and submit my desires to Your will. Help me to walk in humility, truth, and obedience, even when it is uncomfortable. May my life reflect the example of Christ. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Discussion Question
What is one area of your life where denying yourself and choosing God's will may be difficult for you?
Have a fruitful day.
(Dr.) Emmanuel Okoro
(aka Dr. Lift)
Comments
Post a Comment