Don't Just Pray Your Frustration

Don't Just Pray Your Frustrations

It is possible to pray all night and still pray the wrong thing.

When we are hurt, disappointed, angry or frustrated, our natural response is to pour everything out to God. And there is nothing wrong with being honest with God about how we feel. But prayer should not end with our frustrations; our frustrations should lead us back to God's Word.

Scripture

“I'm sorry I ever made Saul king. He's turned his back on me. He refuses to do what I tell him.” Samuel was angry when he heard this. He prayed his anger and disappointment all through the night." (1 Samuel 15:11)

Explanation
There are two people in this verse: Saul and Samuel.

While one turned his back on God, the other turned his face to God.

Saul responded to God's instruction with disobedience. Samuel responded to the situation by going to God in prayer.

But notice what Samuel prayed: his anger and disappointment.

It is okay to vent before God. Tell Him about your pain. Tell Him about your disappointment. Tell Him when you are angry. God already knows how you feel, and He is not intimidated by your emotions.

However, prayer is more than expressing how we feel; prayer is bringing our situation under the authority of God's Word.

Jesus said:

“If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.”(John 15:7)

One of the foundations for effective prayer is abiding in Christ and allowing His Word to abide in us.

When God's Word lives in you, you don't just pray your feelings—you pray according to what God has said.

Application
You may say, “God, I am in pain, but Your Word says that by the stripes of Jesus, I am healed.”

You may say, “Lord, I don't know what to do, but Your Word says You will direct my paths.”

You may say, “Father, I am afraid about the future, but Your Word says You have not given me the spirit of fear.”

You may be facing financial pressure, family challenges, uncertainty about your future or a difficult situation at work. Don't allow the situation to become louder than God's Word.

Feel your pain, but pray the Word.

Express your frustration, but return to the promise.

Tell God what is happening, but then remind yourself—and declare before Him—what He has said.

God's Word will not return to Him empty. It will accomplish what He sent it to accomplish.

So don't just pray your frustrations. Pray the Word.

Reflection
What have you been saying to God about your situation—and what has God already said about it in His Word?

Prayer
Father, thank You because I can come to You with my pain, disappointment and frustrations. Teach me not to stop there. Help me to fill my heart with Your Word and pray according to Your promises. When my emotions become loud, let Your Word become louder. Help me to trust what You have said and stand firmly on Your promises until I see Your will accomplished in my life. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Discussion Question
What promise from God's Word do you need to start praying over your situation instead of simply praying about your frustration?

Have a fruitful day.

(Dr.) Emmanuel Okoro
(aka Dr. Lift)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Law man" or God's man

Think About It. Talk It Over. Do Something!

The Future is in Your Hands